My blog about my wargaming activities. I collect a lot of 15mm miniatures for the American War of Independence and so collect a lot of rules for this period. I started miniatures with Napoleonics, so I have a number of armies in 6mm and 15mm figures for skirmishing. I have15mm WW II figures that I use for Flames of War, Memoir '44, and someday, Poor Bloody Infantry. Finally there is my on-again, off-again relationship with paper soldiers that I sometimes write about.

Sunday, February 21, 2010

DBA Tournament

We had out DBA tournament today and it went okay. Just okay. I knew the turnout was going to be bad, but we had more non-participants than participants! (Two gaming, two observing, and me as judge.) But hey, you have to keep plugging away.

I was hoping for more people, obviously, and I probably could have gotten them had I put off the game for another week, but I had delayed twice before, so I put my foot down and held it anyway. And thus I got two players.

I should have changed the format at the last minute and had three games where you (probably) would not know who won until the last game, but instead stuck with the open, "best of three games" tournament. Mark chose Later Polish (one Bw, 2 LH, no WWg) and Don chose New Kingdom Egyptian ((a) option: 4 Bw, no Wb). Mark seemed to have been expecting Don to play his Jewish Revolt army, but Don pretty much figured that Mark was going to play his Polish, so he really did not want to play an all-infantry force against Mark's mounted force (with four Knights to boot).

I won't go into the details of the games, I will leave that to Don and Mark to document on the SVHG forum, but we never got to game three as Don won the first two games. Mark wasn't in the mood to play the third, even for fun. Ah well!

My wife, Rita, and I played two games of DBA today too. She stuck with her Polybian Romans and I kept with the Ancient Spanish. In game 1 I was attacking and she basically set up a widely open battlefield. Nonetheless, I was able to load up my forces on the right flank and keep his left and center out of combat (they were occupied by three Psiloi). The hilarious part was when I hit his Blade on all four faces and then rolled a '1'. Fortunately, she rolled a '1' also and that ended the game with me winning 4-2.

The second game had me defending and I threw down a Road, Steep Hill, Gentle Hill, and a Woods. Basically I threw a column through the woods on the right flank and help back a large force on the Steep Hill on the left flank. The cavalry (1 LH and 1 Cv Gen) swept around the right flank right as the column popped out of the woods. I took out his two Psiloi and one Cavalry and finally won by flanking his Blade, ending the game, me again winning 4-2.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

Blog and Forum Pages

Popular Posts

Followers

About Me

My photo
Huachuca City, Arizona, United States
I am 58 yrs old now. I bought a house in Huachuca City, AZ working for a software company for the last three years. To while away the hours I like to wargame -- with wooden, lead, and sometimes paper miniatures -- usually solo. Although I am a 'rules junkie', I almost always use rules of my own (I like to build upon others' ideas, but it seems like there is always something "missing" or "wrong").