My blog about my wargaming activities. I collect a lot of 15mm miniatures for the American War of Independence and so collect a lot of rules for this period. I started miniatures with Napoleonics, so I have a number of armies in 6mm and 15mm figures for skirmishing. I have15mm WW II figures that I use for Flames of War, Memoir '44, and someday, Poor Bloody Infantry. Finally there is my on-again, off-again relationship with paper soldiers that I sometimes write about.

Monday, March 15, 2010

Testors and Polly S Paints

I went to Ace Hobby the other week and picked up two reds, just so I could test the covering power of Testors and Polly S paints, compared to Games Workshop. I must say, they both impressed me. I used Polly S and Floquil as a kid and I remember that its covering power was good, but GW had always impressed me as better, especially with white and red. It seems Polly S is better than I remember it, so they may have changed their formulas.

Testors Model Master acrylic paints are really something. The one I bought, Italian Red (which is supposed to be a Ferrari red), is bright and has great covering power, but is glossy like enamels. I have found that the GW wash, especially when I do it twice as indicated in my last blog post, takes the gloss away. Further, it makes really nice lines with a small liner brush,so I am getting good results making borders on tunics and patterns on cloaks. I've made a note to try the yellows and white next, as it may solve some painting problems for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

Blog and Forum Pages

Popular Posts

Followers

About Me

My photo
Huachuca City, Arizona, United States
I am 58 yrs old now. I bought a house in Huachuca City, AZ working for a software company for the last three years. To while away the hours I like to wargame -- with wooden, lead, and sometimes paper miniatures -- usually solo. Although I am a 'rules junkie', I almost always use rules of my own (I like to build upon others' ideas, but it seems like there is always something "missing" or "wrong").